The main library of Azerbaijan is one of the most known big national libraries not only in the Caucasus, located in the European continent, but also known all over the world.The library, celebrating this year its 85rd anniversary was created in 1922 and its official opening came about May 23, 1923.In 1939 the library was named in honour of M.F.Akhundov, the great thinker, playwright and publisher.Presently there are 25 sections and 26 sectors in the National Library. In the fund of the library there are preserved 4 million 513 thousand publishing materials.It is not fortuitous that H.Aliyev, the famous leader, estimating the science and the culture highly, the President of our country visited our library four times (July 06, 1995; March 04, 1996; 5-20 November 1997) and made a present of books more than 100 from his personal fund.In 2005, according to the order of the Cabinet of Ministers the Library has been awarded the status of “the National Library” that is the very high estimation for its activity.The National Library is instilling into the life and the policy of the Republic of Azerbaijan on the library affairs, collects and preserves the national publication, the works by the Azerbaijani authors and the literature about Azerbaijan, published abroad. The National Library is the treasure-house of the national culture and the state book-stack.Within the last years there was arisen a considerable change of the positive side.The specialized department of the foreign literature from 2005 restarted to carry out the international book exchange once again. The department of the library policy and the methodical guidance started to conduct the melodic work in the virtual regime assisting to the other libraries.As a result of these works, the materials and manuals, prepared by the National Library are placed in the site of the library and before the publishing are issued for using by the employees.From 2003 the National Library started to introduce they automated system of management. For this purpose there was used of the VTLS-Virtua.